Thursday 16 July 2015

Things About Fitness and Food That I Have Learnt Along The Way


When it comes to fitness I think we all know that it's never really easy.

Yes, I have great days where I just don't give up on my workout, drip with sweat doing millions of burpees with my music blasting on high and feel absolutely epic afterwards. However, I also seem to have really bad days where I am either way too tired to try hard enough or my mind is on something completely different... and why be ashamed? Sometimes I have only cake and ice cream on my mind so you can guess why my workout doesn't quite go to plan!

Most people, like myself,  have looked online for short term fixes to 'loosing weight'- if you keep to it as a 'diet' it might actually work but the problem is that as soon as the '6 week bikini challenge' is over people turn back to their usual routine which isn't actually doing any good.

Since I started exercising at home around 3 years ago and my body (and lifestyle) has changed entirely but I still don't have the 'perfect' body in my eyes (every body type is equally as beautiful!) nor has exercising become any easier simply because my limitations and strengths have changed and I always need to challenge myself.

Here are some useful things that I learnt from my own habits that might help you:

-You have to workout your entire body to improve your overall fitness : Both cardio and strength

I have previously workout nothing but my abs, doing rep after rep of sit ups and crunches. It doesn't help! Cardio is there is burn fat and strength training is there to make you stronger, strengthening different parts of your body is also required to seem fitter overall. Simple.

-You should exercise not because it's a chore, but because you want to exercise
 
Lets face it, if there is no motivation for you to exercise the chances are that you wont. I love to exercise because it has been a way to release all my stress and to even relax.

-You have to watch your diet as well as exercise routine

Healthy eating is a must if you really want that body! Load up most of your plate with veggies and start making different combinations of salads for lunch - that's a great way to start.

-Read food labels

Have you ever picked up one of the 'Eat Natural' bars and found that it is filled will honey, glucose syrup and sugar? Well they are and now I tend to avoid store brought products such as these because they don't seem as healthy as I first thought they were. Some bars, such as the Nakd bars, are pretty unprocessed and I love them for when I know I'm going to be out and about.

-All peanut butter is not the same!

Again reading the food label is really useful, I found that Skippy's Peanut butter has added sugar as well as other ingredients. Peanut butter is a good source of protein (as tastes amazing) but choosing clean options such as Whole Earth is the best choice.

-Portion control - but enjoy your food :)

Unfortunately too many calories is still too many calories but I don't ever think that the healthy food I eat is ever a diet because it is simply a lifestyle choice. As most of you may realise you can't go on a short fix 'diet' for the rest of your life and therefore I know that if I do want a burger, ice cream, cake or even Churros (YES PLEASE) then I am free to enjoy those foods in moderation. I try once a week if I must or I will 'save' them up if I know I'm going on holiday or its nearly my birthday or I'm planning to eat out at a buffet.....we all know what happens then I am really hungry.....
 
Hope that you found some of these things useful!
 
Do you have any healthy snacks you love and would recommend?
 
Priyanka xx

No comments :

Post a Comment